We protect and improve the nation's health and wellbeing and reduce health inequalities.
We are responsible for:
- making the public healthier by encouraging discussions, advising government and supporting action by local government, the NHS and other people and organisations;
- supporting the public so they can protect and improve their own health;
- protecting the nation’s health through the national health protection service and preparing for public health emergencies;
- sharing our information and expertise with local authorities, industry and the NHS to help them make improvements in the public’s health;
- researching, collecting and analysing data to improve our understanding of health and come up with answers to public health problems;
- reporting on improvements in the public’s health so everyone can understand the challenge and the next steps; and
- helping local authorities and the NHS to develop the public health system and its specialist workforce.
For more information visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/public-health-england/