We provide a blood and transplant service to the NHS which means supplying enough safe blood to hospitals in England and North Wales and providing tissues and solid organs to hospitals across the UK. Each year donors give around two million donations of blood and 3,500 organs – saving and transforming countless lives.
Safeguarding blood supply and increasing the number of donated organs involves collecting, testing, processing, storing and delivering blood, plasma and tissue to every NHS Trust in England and North Wales. We also match, allocate, audit and analyse organ donations across the whole of the UK.
We are responsible for:
- promoting blood, tissue and organ donation to the public;
- managing the supply of blood to hospitals in England and North Wales;
- managing organ transplantation in the UK;
- managing the British Bone Marrow Register;
- working with hospital colleagues to promote the safe and appropriate use of blood;
- providing a range of tissues and other services to hospitals; and
- provision of a wide range of diagnostic services.
For further information visit: http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/