We regulate medicines, medical devices and blood components for transfusion in the UK.
Recognised globally as an authority in its field, we play a leading role in protecting and improving public health and support innovation through scientific research and development.
We are responsible for:
- ensuring that medicines, medical devices and blood components for transfusion meet applicable standards of safety, quality and efficacy;
- ensuring that the supply chain for medicines, medical devices and blood components is safe and secure;
- promoting international standardisation and harmonisation to assure the effectiveness and safety of biological medicines;
- helping to educate the public and healthcare professionals about the risks and benefits of medicines, medical devices and blood components, leading to safer and more effective use;
- supporting innovation and research and development that’s beneficial to public health; and
- influencing the UK, EU and international regulatory frameworks so that they’re risk-proportionate and effective at protecting public health.
For further information visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/medicines-and-healthcare-products-regulatory-agency